1. simple past tense
We used this
tense to talk about the past.
FORM:
(+) S +
Verb2 + O
ex: She studied English last night
(-) S + did
+ not + Verb1
ex: She did not studied English last
night
(?) did + S
+ verb1 + O
ex: Did She studied English last
night?
2. Past Progressive Tense
Past Progressive tense indicates continuing action, something that
was happening, going on, at some point in the past. This tense is formed with
the helping "to be" verb, in the past tense, plus the present
participle of the verb (with an -ing ending):
- I was riding my bike all day yesterday.
- Barack was being a terrible role model for his younger brother.
The past progressive indicates a limited duration of time and is thus a convenient way to indicate that something took place (in the simple past) while something else was happening:
- James lost his watch while he was running.
Example
Singular
|
Plural
|
I was
walking
|
we were
walking
|
you were
walking
|
you were
walking
|
he/she/it
was walking
|
they were
walking
|
3.Differences and similarities in the Simple past and the past Progressive
1. Use
|
|||||
2. Form
Simple Past |
Past Progressive |
|
(was or were) + infinitive + -ing
|
3. Examples
3.1. Affirmative sentences
Past tense |
Past progressive |
I played football.You played football.He played football. |
He was playing football.You were playing football.He was playing football. |
3.2. Negative sentences
Simple Past |
Past Progressive |
I did not play football.You did not play footballHe did not play football. |
He was not playing football.You were not playing footballHe was not playing football. |
3.3. Questions
Simple Past |
Past Progressive |
Did I play football?Did you play football?Did he play football? |
Was I playing football?Were you playing football?Was he playing football? |
4. Spelling
Simple Past |
Past Progressive |
|
|
5. Use
Both tenses are often used in one sentence:While we were sitting at the breakfast table, the telephone rang.
We were sitting at the breakfast table when the telephone rang.
- Past Progressive → we were sitting at the table
- Simple Past → the telephone rang.
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar