Minggu, 17 Desember 2017

Simple Present and Present Progressive tenses



1. Simple Present Tense
 Simple present tense is a simple sentence form that describes events or habits.

FORM:
(+) Subject (s) + Verb1 + Object (o)
ex: I go to school every day
(-) S+do/does not+Verb1+O
ex: She do not go to school every day
(?) Do/Does + S + Verb1 + O
ex: Do I go to school every day?


NOTE:
I,you,they,we using do.
He, she, it using does
 


2. present progressive tense
indicates continuing action, something going on now. This tense is formed with the helping "to be" verb, in the present tense, plus the present participle of the verb (with an -ing ending)

example: "I am buying all my family's Christmas gifts early this year.
 
Differences and similarities in the Simple Present and the Present Progressiv

 Form
 
Simple Present
Present Progressive

infinitive → 3rd person singular (he, she, it): infinitive + -s

to be (am, are, is) + infinitive + -ing
v   
      Examples

Simple present
Present progressive
(+) I sing a song.
(-) I do not sing a song.
(?)Do I sing a song?
(+) I am singing a song.
(-) I am do not singing a song.
(?)Am I singing a song?
(+) You sing a song.
(-) You not sing a song.
(?) do you sing a song?
(+) You are sing a song.
(-) You are not sing a song?
(?) Are you sing a song?
(+) He sing a song.
(-) He does not sing a song.
(?) Does he sing a song?
(+) He is singing a song.
(-) He is not singing a song.
(?) Is he singing a song?
v       
            Use

Simple Present
Present Progressive
  • repeated actions
  • fixed arrangements, scheduled events (e.g. timetable)
  • sequence of actions in the present (first - then, after that)
  • instructions
  • things in general
  • after special verbs
  • actions happening at the moment of speaking or around the moment of speaking
  • fixed plan in the near future
  • temporary actionstrends
  • repeated actions which are irritating to the speaker (with always, constantly, forever)
v     
                Signal words

Simple Present
Present Progressive
  • always
  • often
  • usually
  • sometimes
  • seldom
  • never
  • every day
  • every week
  • every year
  • on Mondays

  • now
  • at the moment
  • Look!
  • Listen

v         Spelling

Simple Present
Present Progressive
  • watches (-es after sibilant)
  • goes (-es after -o)
  • hurries (Change -y to -ie after consonant)
  • sitting (Double the consonant after a short vowel.)
  • writing (Drop the -e.)
  • lying (Change -ie to -y.)


Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar

KONTRAK PERKULIAHAN Mata Kuliah                           : Intermediate Structure Komak/sks                              : KBG...