Kamis, 04 Januari 2018

Phrasal verb



some verbs are two part verbs (see Clauses, Sentences and Phrases). They consist of a verb and a particle:
  • grow + up
    >> The children are growing up.
Often this gives the verb a new meaning:
  • take + after
    >> She takes after her mother
    = She looks like her mother, or She behaves like her mother.
  • count + on
    >> I know I can count on you
    = I know I can trust you, or I know I can believe you.
Some transitive two part verbs (see Clauses, Sentences and Phrases) have only one pattern:
N (subject) + V + p + N (object)
[Note: N = noun; V = verb; p = particle]
N (Subject)
Verb
Particle
N (Object)
She

I

My father
Takes

can count

comes
After

on

from
her mother

you

Madrid

Some transitive two part verbs (see Clauses, Sentences and Phrases) are phrasal verbs. Phrasal verbs have two different patterns:
• The usual pattern is: N + V + N + p

N (Subject)
Verb
(N) Object
Particle
She
He
We
gave
knocked
will be leaving
the money
the glass
our friends and neighbours
back
over
behind

• But sometimes these verbs have the pattern: N (subject) + V + p + N (object)

N (Subject)
Verb
Particle
N (Object)
She
He
We
gave
knocked
will be leaving
back
over
behind
the money
the glass
our friends and neighbours
When the object is a personal pronoun,these verbs always have the pattern:
N + V +N + p:
  • She gave back it
    >> She gave it back
  • He knocked over it
     >> knocked it over
  • We will be leaving behind them
    >> We will be leaving them behind
• Phrasal verbs are nearly always made up of a transitive verb and a particle. Common verbs with their most frequent particles are:
bring:
about, along, back, forward, in, off, out, round, up
buy:
out, up
call:
off, up
carry:
off, out
cut:
back, down, off, out, up
give:
away, back, off
hand:
back, down, in, on out, over, round
knock:
down, out, over
leave:
behind, out
let:
down, in, off, out
pass:
down, over, round
point:
Out
push:
about, around, over
put:
across, away, down, forward, off, on, out, through, together, up
read:
Out
set:
apart, aside, back, down
shut:
away, in, off, out
take:
apart, away, back, down, in, on, up, over
think:
over, through, up



Exercise :
Fill in the blanks based on the word in parentheses !
  1. His uncle always taught him not to _____ those people with less. (look up to / look down on)
  2. Stop complaining and _____ your work! (get on with / get over)
  3. The boss wants you to _____ your figures for this month to him. (hand out / hand in)
  4. We’re going to have to _____ our trip to Spain until September. (put up/ put off)
  5. I _____ Amir today at the supermarket. It was great to see him. (ran out of / ran into)
  6. I’m so tired of Sophie _____ her engagement ring all the time. (showing off, showing up)
  7. The police would not _____ to the kidnapper’s demands. (give up/ give in)
  8. I thought I would _____ for a cup of coffee. Is that okay? (drop off/ drop in)
  9. Have you ever _____ such an unusual piece of art? (come forward/come across)
  10. It’s important to _____ on time. (show up / show off)


                  http://www.gingersoftware.com/content/grammar-rules/verbs/phrasal-verbs/

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar

KONTRAK PERKULIAHAN Mata Kuliah                           : Intermediate Structure Komak/sks                              : KBG...