Rabu, 03 Januari 2018

Adjective clause





ADJECTIVE CLAUSE PRONOUNS USED AS THE OBJECT OF A VERB
     The man was Mr. Jones
      I saw him
(a)    The man who (m) i saw was Mr. Jones
(b)   The man that       i saw  was Mr. Jones
(c)    The man                i saw was Mr. Jones


          The movie which we  wasn’t very good.
           We saw it last night.
(d)   The movie which we saw last night wasn’t very good
(e)    The movie that we saw lastnight wasn;t very good
(f)    The movie  we saw last night wasn’t very good
Notice in the examples: the adjective clause pronouns are placed at the beginning of the clause.
In (a): who is usually used instead of whom, especially in speaking. Whom is generally used only in very formal english.
In (c) and (f) : An object pronoun is often omitted from an adjective clause. (A subject pronoun, however, may not be omitted).
Who (m) = used for people
Which = used for things
That = used for both people and things
(g)    INCORRECT :  The man who (m) i saw him was Mr. Jones.
The man that i saw him was Mr. Jones.
The man i saw him was Mr. Jones.
In (g): the pronoun him must be removed. It is unnecessary because who (m), that, or o functions as the object of the verb saw.


ADJECTIVE CLAUSE PRONOUNS USED AS THE OBJECT OF A PREPOSITION
  She is the women
  I told you about her.

(a)     She is the woman    about whom   i told you
(b)     She is the women  who(m)   i told you  about
(c)     She is the women  that  i told you about
(d)     She is the women   i told you about


                     The music was good.
                      We listened to it last night
(e)     The music to which   we l
(f)      istened     last night was good
(g)     The music which       we  listened to last night   was go good
(h)   The music    we listened to last night    was good
In very normal english, the preposition comes at the beginning of the adjective clause, as in (a) and (e). Usually how ever, i everyday usage, the prepositon comes after the subject and verb of the adjective clause, as in the other examples.
Note : if the preposition comes at the beginning of the adjective clause, only whom or which may be used. A preposition is never immediately followed by that or who

USUAL PATTERNS OF ADJECTIVE CLAUSES
(a)    USUAL : I like the people who live next to me.

LESS USUAL : I like the people that live next to me.
In everyday informal usage, often one adjective clause pattern is used more commonly than another.* in (a) : subject pronoun, who is more common than that.

(b)   USUAL : I like books that have good plots.
LESS USUAL : I like books which have good plots.
In (b) As a subject pronoun, that is more common than which.

(c)    USUAL : I like the people : i met last night.
(d)   USUAL : I like the book : i read last week
In (c) and (d): Object pronouns are commonly ommoted,especially in speaking.


Source : Azzar,B.T(2002).Understanding and using english grammar.Third edition with answer key. USA:Longman




Scoring
Grammar : 50%
Spelling :40 %
Total score : grammar + spelling 

50-60 (D)
61-70 (C)
71-80 (B)
81-90 (A)


EXERCISE


Combine each of the following pairs of simple sentences into one complex sentence containing an adjective clause.

1 .John bought a boat. The boat cost thirty thousand dollars.
2.    John is the man. We are going to recommend John for the job.
3.    The men are angry. The men are in this room.
4.    The men are angry. I do not like the men.
5.    I do not like the men. The woman is talking to the men.
 

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar

KONTRAK PERKULIAHAN Mata Kuliah                           : Intermediate Structure Komak/sks                              : KBG...