Jumat, 05 Januari 2018





 1. Past perfect Tense
Past Perfect tense to explain events that occured before an event or other event in the past.
FORM:
(+)S+had+ V3
ex: I had gone to Bali before i went to Jogja last year.
(-)S+had+V3
                        Ex: I had gone to Bali before i went to Jogja last year.
(?)Had+S+V3
                        Ex: had I gone to Bali before i went to Jogja last year?
2 Past Perfect Progressive Tense
The Past Perfect Progressive indicates a continuous action that was completed at some point in the past.
This tense is formed with the modal "HAD" plus "BEEN," plus the present participle of the verb (with an -ing ending):
Example :"I had been working in the garden all morning.
    Joe  had been painting his house for weeks, but he finally gave up."


Singular
Plural
I had been walking
we had been walking
you had been walking
you had been walking
he/she/it had been walking
they had been walking










Past Perfect
Past perfect Progressive
form
Had + p.p
(use a simple past verb in the dependent clause)
Had  + been +-ing verb
(use a simple past verb in the dependent clause)
use
The first past action finishes before the second past action.
The first past action countinous until the second past action.

Time Markers
·         By the time
·         When
·         Before
·         After
(note: The typical past markers Last, Yesterday, and Ago are often additionally used.)
·         By the time
·         When
·         Before
(note: The typical progressive markers For and Since are often additionally used.)
Examples
·         I had finished dinner by the time he called me last night.
·         My friend had texted me five times before i answered.
·         By the this time she got home, someone had fixed the door.
·         When you asked me out yesterday, i had already made plans.

·         My sister had been studying English for 11 years before she entered university.
·         We had been waiting for hours by the time she arrived.
·         When he called me at midnight, had been sleeping since 8 p.m.
 Adaptep from : ESL-LIBRARY.COM




Exercise :
Use the simple past or the present perfect. In some sentences, either tense is possible but the meaning is different.

1.   1 .  I (attend, not) haven’t attended any parties since i came here.
2.    2  Al (go)______________ to aparty at Sally apertment last Saturday night.
3.      Bill (arrive)_______________ here three days ago.
4.      Bill (be) __________________ here since the 22nd.
5.      So far this week, I (have)_____________ two test and quiz.
 

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar

KONTRAK PERKULIAHAN Mata Kuliah                           : Intermediate Structure Komak/sks                              : KBG...